Just 12 miles from my home in SF lies one of the most beautiful national parks I have ever seen: Muir Woods. Proclaimed as “the best tree-lovers monument that could possibly be found in all the forests of the world,” Muir Woods is known for its old-growth strand of incredibly tall coastal redwood trees and moments of inspirational, warming sunbeams. The park has tons of hidden wildlife (I once saw an owl!) and over six miles of hiking trails, varying in length and difficulty. For those interested in going – which, duh, you should def be interested – here is a Park Trail Map that outlines the park.
- Avoid tourists and try the 4-mile Backdoor Hiking Route.
- Bring friends! Hiking with friends is a great healthy activity for socializing & catching up.
- Pack healthy snacks such as apples, carrots, bananas or fruit-nut bars.
- Bring and drink lots of water.
- Challenge yourself! Try walking a bit faster to get your heart rate up.
- Bring a light jacket, as most of the forest is cool and shaded.
- Try to avoid weekends if possible, as it is a tourist hotspot.
- Get there early in the morning, as parking can be tough.
- Keep your voices down in the “Cathedral” area and other areas with “shhh” signs.
- Enjoy the beautiful scenery. And enjoy this moment of being healthy and happy. Seriously – this one is a MUST.
Every time my brother and I go hiking, he always makes fun of me because I always spend at least 15 minutes ranting and raving about how lucky and fortunate we are to experience the beautiful day. We’ve been on dozens of hikes together, and he jokes about one day, creating a book of all the “we are so fortunate” phrases I preach to him. But seriously – every time I go hiking, I feel so blessed that I get to experience such beauty and bliss. I’m overcome with appreciation for my functioning legs, muscles, heart, lungs and overall health. With this, I encourage you to take the time to really appreciate what’s going on around you. Good company, beautiful scenery, fresh air and a day focused on taking care of your body, mind and soul. What’s not to love?! #bexisgettingdeepagain